Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Back to Laker Land!

For a change of pace I got to go back to my high school, Silver Lake Regional High School in Kingston, Mass.  I spoke to Ms. Jamie Schweer's sociology classes.  We talked about stigmas associated with being a wheelchair user.  We also spoke about discrimination against wheelchair users as well as current legislation that is in place to assist wheelchair users in the state of Massachusetts.  This question and answer period was far more candid than the age appropriate discussions that I am used to.  Students were more interested in what my college experience was like having a disability.  They wanted to know what my future held as far as romantic standings, starting a family, and what uphill barriers I may face in getting married and having children.  Being surrounded by such great Ms. Wheelchair Sisters it was quite easy to impart to them that having a family and getting married is just as attainable as an able-bodied person.  Although I answered a plethora of different questions, I think the hardest question for me to openly and honestly answer was what year did you graduate because suddenly I realized that I am 13 years removed from this wonderful place that  helped me form my identity as a strong woman that happens to be a wheelchair user.  There was one particular student that was more than willing to ask anything and it is so nice to not have a person who is afraid to ask a question without fear of offending the person.

It is ironic that 13 years later I would be presenting in front of Ms. Schweer's class because her sociology class is one that I took my senior year at Silver Lake and I remember thinking 13 years ago, I wonder if I will make a difference with stigmas regarding disabilities.  I finally got to accomplish one goal as Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts that I set 13 years prior without even knowing what the Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts program was.

In closing, I just want to say, once a Laker, always a Laker.  I want to extend my love and gratitude to the Silver Lake staff, especially Principal Richard Kelley, who is pictured above with me.  You guys will always hold a special place in my Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts journey.

Until next time, my friends, "Advocate, Educate & Empower."  
Before I forget, GO LAKERS!