Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My After- School Special

  
The next stop on my Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts, 2013 journey took place on April 11th.  I got to partake in a disability awareness talk and discussion at the Plymouth Boys and Girls Club in Plymouth, Massachusetts.  Not to play favorites but I think this was my most successful event to date.  The reason I say this is I spoke to 30 to 40 children between 2nd grade to about 7th grade levels.  This was particularly special because I had a range of children who had different experiences with their exposure to disability culture.  This made for a very rousing question and answer period because the kids shared their experiences with me just as much as I shared my experiences with them.  For example, I had one particular girl who has a sister who is hard of hearing and she expressed how sometimes her disability can make her feel different than the other children her age.  This started an open dialogue for another boy who explained his different view of the world after being a wheelchair user for 8 weeks due to broken limbs.  He realized how certain things that people who can walk take certain obstacles in every day life for granted.  My particular favorite child (even though Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts should not play favorites) was a little boy named, Jamari, he kept me on my toes making sure that I gave him quick answers as well as relating my story as the reigning queen of Massachusetts to a story that he was reading in school.  This tugged at my heart strings because with these kids I felt like giving them an opportunity to see that disabilities relate to many different areas of your life even if you do not have one yourself.  It is because of these kids at the Plymouth Boys and Girls Club that I want to reach out to many more after school programs because clearly my mission was accomplished here.

Until next time, my friends, "Advocate, Educate & Empower".