Saturday, May 25, 2013

Lions ...Tigers...And BSU Bears Oh My

You know it has been a long time since you have been back to your college when it has changed its name since you have been there.  I cannot believe it has been 8 years since I have been at BSU/BSC for us old folks.  I was asked by one of my favorite professors who happens to be retiring this year, Dr. Rebecca Leavitt, to share my Ms. Wheelchair story with the members of the Davis Alumni Center at Bridgewater State University.  Many of you know that Dr. Leavitt and I have always had a strong bond.  She is actually the professor who made me have a passion for social work, so when she suggests I do something I know it is for a positive reason.  It was so nice to go back to the campus that I literally found my independence on.  It was after I started taking courses in social work that I realized that I could do more for disability awareness then just talk.  I learned my legislative skills from classes like Dr. Leavitt's.  So coming back to BSU, which is still weird to say, by the way was a homecoming of sorts.  I also got to spend a little time with Autumn Grant who works at BSU who was my MWMA state coordinator, so things kind of came full circle.   I also got to see an individual, by chance, who taught me to have a thicker skin with my disability and it was this person who challenged me to learn to stand up for myself and my life as a student with a disability.  I did not realize the magnitude of this lesson until I got into my older years, but as tough as it was at the time, I am so glad I learned this lesson the hard way because it taught me to be a stronger advocate for my own self and in turn as Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts I have learned to use my voice and my thicker skin to do what is right for the millions of people with disabilities in this great nation of ours.

Til next time, "Advocate, Educate and Empower".