Saturday, May 25, 2013

Tom & I Unite For Change!

                                                    
After reading the article that the Pembroke Mariner wrote about my crowning I got an email from Tom W. who like me has Cerebral Palsy and is the Director of the Pembroke Commission on Disabilities.  He was wondering if we could meet up to make some changes in accessibility around Pembroke.  I called him back right away and jumped at the chance to make disability accessibility in my own home town.  One of the things that Tom and I discussed were how many changes have been made in the past within the town.  We talked about everything from the new library accessibility to things that needed to change such as:  playground accessibility in Bryantville, which is part of Pembroke, to the need for more accessibility at the Herring Run, which of those of you that do not know is a historical point of interest within the town.  We have decided that that we must contact local legislators to see if we can get them to understand the desperate need for funding these major changes.  Tom also asked me to promote one of the programs that is near and dear to him, that is, people who call the Pembroke Commission on Disabilities can either donate small medical equipment such as :  wheelchairs, walkers, eyeglasses, bath chairs, etc.. With these donations Tom makes it possible for low income individuals to have these donations free of charge so that they may lead more independent lives.  As Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts, I have a plan and  will continue to plan to make major changes throughout the state, but it is something special when you can do it in your own backyard.

Til next time, "Advocate, Educate, and Empower."