Saturday, May 25, 2013

Willie Meets the Maracas

East Bridgewater Library in East Bridgewater, Mass. was the next stop on my journey.This time was slightly different because I had a slightly younger crowd than I am used to but like my platform says, it is better to teach disability awareness at younger ages in order to expose children to all of the differences that they will see in the world.  I do not know how much of Willie the Wheelchair the kids comprehended fully but I can tell you that the graphics and the fact that Willie had wheels was an even bigger hit than my crown which I am told makes me a special princess.  They say during your reign sometimes you step out of your comfort zone and do things that you never thought you would.  For me, this was singing The Bear Went Over the Mountain.  For those of you who know me personally can attest that I would never win a karaoke contest.  I think that it should be quite illegal for me to sing in public.  I can say as Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts, I took one for the team in the name of advocacy in order to ensure these children got a positive message.  You can see that this blog post is an abbreviated one.  This is mainly because I am trying to forget my less than stellar singing performance but this appearance taught me a great lesson i n  grace under pressure for nationals.

Til next time, "Advocate, Educate and Empower."