Sunday, March 3, 2013

Is This the End.....or the Beginning?

Yesterday we had our Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts 2013 Leadership and Advocacy Competition. It was a bittersweet day for me because my year has ended as a titleholder. I am very excited to announce my successor, Nicole Tarzia, as the new Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts 2013. I wish her congratulations and much love!

I want to use this time to share some thoughts on the amazing year that I had as Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts 2012. It was truly the best year of my life! To begin as a competitor I had to really reflect on a platform that was my heart and soul and to organize my life and past accomplishments. That in itself was an amazing way to further understand my own identity and personal growth as a woman with a disability.

As the titleholder I was able to spread my platform of Creative Perseverance. To me this means finding creative ways to accomplish your goals and fully participate in a life with great quality. I met many people throughout the state of Massachusetts who I shared these ideas with. I had the opportunity to meet the Mayor of Boston, my State Representative, and various people in many organizations. I was on the pitcher's mound at Fenway Park during the pregame show on Disability Awareness day there and got to see myself on the large screen. I also got to perform an original song at the Putnam Club at Gillette Stadium for Triangle, Incorporated, which is a huge organization assisting people with disabilities to live independently, advocate for themselves, and find employment and leisure activities.

Attending the Ms. Wheelchair America Leadership and Advocacy Competition was a life-changing event for me. I met 27 other state titleholders who shared the same vision as myself but at the same time brought very different gifts to the table. We became instant friends and sisters, along with all the other people that were there from companions to spouses to other state board members to volunteers and on and on and on! Even the staff at the Renaissance Hotel shared our enthusiasm and really got to see what it was like to be a person with a disability living a great life and advocating for and mentoring others. Much to my surprise, I took home the Lifetime Achievement Award!

I have to say the most important thing that stands out to me for my year as Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts 2012 is thinking about the looks on the faces of young women as they heard me share my life story and dreams and accomplishments. Their faces lit up as they learned that they, too, could turn obstacles into opportunities, go to college, acquire employment, live independently, nurture their creative side and express it, have meaningful relationships and participate fully in life. As the titleholder, it is a constant flow of giving out and getting back in forming lifelong relationships.

I am saying farewell as Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts 2012 and saying hello again as the Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts Foundation State Coordinator. Many thanks to the Board of Directors and past State Coordinator Autumn Grant for choosing me and giving me this opportunity.

I have so many people to thank for helping me to make this year it so memorable! Thank you to the judges last year who saw promise in me, thank you to Susan Houston for encouraging me to compete, thank you to Autumn Grant for mentoring and guiding me, and thank you to the Board of Directors and sponsors who made it all possible.

Special thank you to my husband Vinny without whom I never would have competed. He reminded me of gifts and abilities I possess and always encouraged me. He calmed me down when I was nervous about competing and also about doing the best job I could. He filled in all the blanks during events and appearances I attended by getting me there on time, (especially when a PCA did not show up and I had no way to get there nevermind no way to dress up for it!) taking pictures and generally being the wind beneath my wings. I will always love you until forever fades away.

And to many other people who are too numerous to count, thank you for your support and love, thank you for having me at your events and organizations, and thank you for supporting the Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts Foundation. I am excited about going forward and about our new titleholder Nicole Tarzia and the things she will accomplish this year!

Much love to all!