Monday, March 4, 2013

My Reign Begins

I am Nicole Tarzia for those who do not know me.  I am a thirty year old woman with Spastic Cerebral Palsy.  I was lucky enough to be crowned Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts, 2013 on Saturday, March 2,. 2013.  This day has changed my life because now I feel like I can be a better advocate for individuals who have a disability.  Getting involved in this program has been something I wanted to do for years, so this is a dream come true.

My platform this year is "Advocate, Educate, Empower" especially with the youth population.  I have officially booked my first few appearances of many to come.  There will be disability awareness education for St. Thecla's Parish in Pembroke, Mass. This is very exciting for me.  My title is starting to feel official now that I am booking events.

I would like to share some memories of Saturday so that everyone can understand my joy at the beginning of this journey.  I was preparing for the pageant and advocacy program for many weeks trying to perfect my platform speech for many weeks.  Most of my family members now can recite it  themselves.  I got some amazing advice from a friend who had told me that if I just be myself I will win over many people.  As much as I tried to heed this advice I'm not going to lie to you I was as nervous as nervous could be.  The reason I was nervous I wanted to win this for very unselfish reasons. I know that I can be a really good advocate throughout the state, and that is my main mission.  On a personal note, my late grandfather was also a person who used a wheelchair in his childhood, and he taught me that when you are a person with a disability you should always use it to make the world a better place, so part of my victory was to honor his words of wisdom to me.

Fast forward to crowning, so I do not make this too long, because everyone knows I love to talk about myself, my experiences, my Cerebral Palsy, or just about any topic.  I competed against two other very accomplished, educated, and amazing women so as much as I wanted to win I was not by any means expecting victory.  For those of you who were there at Mass. Hospital School on Saturday I think my knocking down the microphone during my acceptance speech will go down in the unplanned events during crowning of Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts history.  I can now  admit to you that I am not embarrassed or ashamed because I really let my personality show through.  I look forward to an excellent year and making a difference for people with disabilities across Massachusetts.  For a final thought for this post I want to just express how elated I am to have been passed the torch from our new state coordinator, Patti.  So until next time, my friends, remember Advocate, Educate and Empower.