Sunday, March 24, 2013

Voices at The State House

My latest event was the first exposure I had, using my Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts title to promote legislative change for those individuals with disabilities across the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  I was invited to attend the luncheon for independent living at the State House in Boston.  Our main goal, coming together as advocates for people with disabilities was to have our State Representatives and Legislators to understand why it was important to create 1.1 million dollars in additional funding for the eleven independent living centers in the state.  As advocates, we needed to be a voice for people with disabilities who count on independent living centers to help them maintain a successful life, including but not limited to staying out of nursing homes, getting better rehabilitation services as well as employing 200 individuals with disabilities who serve as both role models and can better understand those clients that they worked so tirelessly for.  It was great to know that even one voice could be heard, let alone the 100 people or so that were in attendance.

This event hit me in the best ways possible because although it is prestigious to wear  my crown and sash with pride it pales in comparison to knowing that people look to the tiara as a sign of respect for the community of people with disabilities but I know that the voice that I made heard will make a difference for those that will employ the services of independent living centers for years to come.

Until next time, my friends, Advocate, Educate, Empower.