Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Ms. Wheelchair Mass. - Showing Off My Hockey Skills!



Today I got to make my first official appearance as Ms. Wheelchair Mass. 2013, post crowning that is.  I, for one, can say that my first official appearance was a complete success and super fun.  On a personal note, I come from a hockey family and I am so used to watching the game from the bleachers that it was so much fun to be on the other side of the ice.  I got to do this event at the Cronin Memorial Ice Arena in Revere, Mass.  The staff of the Dept. of Conservation and Recreation - The Universal Access Program were so welcoming to me and were more than ready to get me on the ice.  I had the chance to speak to a few young adults who were also participating in the program.  We talked about the importance of adaptations in sports programs, as well as how important inclusion is in everyday recreational activities.  It was so enlightening to get their perspectives and I think that it will help me to be a more aware Ms. Wheelchair Mass.  It was also an awesome experience because my entire family got to come with me, including my brother who has played hockey for many years.  I have always looked up to his sporting abilities and today has shown me that simple adaptations like a stroller bar, hockey sled, or skating walker can make the games just as competitive and just as much fun.  I want to spread greater awareness that these programs exist, so that we can get more children involved at younger and younger ages.  I want to extend my deepest gratitude and excitement to Gigi, the Director of the program, who has invited me to come to their spring/summer sporting activities expo in Brighton, Mass. taking place on June 8, 2013.  I am very  excited to see what other sports I can pick up a  knack for.  So far, these sports will include cycling, boating, and sailing.  I do not think that I will get drafted by the Boston Bruins anytime soon, but I must say my hockey skills are far more advanced than I thought  they would be for my first time skating.  I can now say there are two hockey players in the family. I have learned that so far, my greatest hockey skill is weaving through the cones. I can say that my first appearance will be memorable because I met some really great people who learned from me and in turn, I learned from them. Today was a terrific day. Until next time, my friends, "Advocate...Educate...and Empower!"