Sunday, March 24, 2013

Luck of Irish & Awareness

They say everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day, which is lucky for me because with a last name like Tarzia I'm far from Irish, but that does not stop Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts from showing people that despite being a wheelchair user I can let loose and have fun on this holiday.  My St. Patrick's Day was filled with excitement because I got to attend and make an appearance at the St. Patrick's Day Parade on the Abington Town Green in Abington, Mass.  Despite being extremely cold and windy it was a fun day had by all.  It was special for me because I got to cheer on one of my littles, Devon, who is Miss Teen Wheelchair Massachusetts as she took to a float.  It is always nice to have appearances in which you can share in the awareness along with your little sisters.  I am hoping soon that I can do the same with DiDi and Caitlin.  

To be honest this is my first time actually celebrating this holiday short of wearing green to school, that was as St. Patty's Day  festive as I got.  So, not only was appearing a way to spread awareness, but I was even more honored to celebrate my first holiday wearing my crown and sash because there were so many small children in attendance and if only for a moment during the celebration, festivities, and candy they got to see a person with a disability who was having just as much fun as they were.  That alone made this appearance worth braving the cold.

Until next time my friends, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.

*-