Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Advocacy 911

     On May 8th, I changed it up a bit, and instead of meeting with more firefighters, I had the idea that there are emergency situations that also include the police that especially concern people with disabilities.  So I wanted to see if I could explain through advocacy the importance of the special circumstances having a disability and being involved in an emergency mean.  As a person who is working on getting a driver's license and going to adaptive driving lessons, I realized that there are more concerns when traveling in an adaptive vehicle that a police officer should be aware of.  Whether or not he comes in contact with it throughout his career is a question, but at least he would be prepared.  I had the honor of meeting Sargeant Mike, dispatcher Krista, and many of the other team members of the Kingston Police Department.  What was particularly fun though was that I got to meet a very special police dog named Ollie.

Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower