Monday, November 25, 2013

One of My Personal Favorites

     On May 3rd, I got to visit with the students of Crystal Springs, Inc.  This is a residential program in Assonet, Mass.  This is a non-profit organization that provides care for youths with cognitive disabilities.  I can honestly say that this is hands down one of my favorite organizations.  My visit there changed the course of my title holding year.  I think as Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts we get caught up in advocating for people with physical disabilities, but this showed me how important advocacy for cognitive disabilities really was.  I got to cheer the children on during therapy swim class,, and I for one can say I am super jealous of the heated olympic sized pool.  Had I had a bathing suit I would probably have jumped in with them.

     One of the attributes of their campus that I am in awe of is the accessible tree-house in which any wheelchair can fit into.  Where were these types of cool things when I was a kid.  This shows how far we have come.  I also got to meet with clinical directors, Angie and Dennis, who are perhaps two of the most tireless, yet humble advocates I have ever met in my life.  This day was such a pleasure that I cannot wait to go back to visit and I hope to work with them again in the future.

Util next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.