Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Advocacy is a Hot Topic

     I seem to be making a habit out of visiting fire departments to discuss the special needs of fire safety for individuals with disabilities,  There is a really good reason for this.  On my mother's side of the family there is a long line of firefighters, paramedics, EMT's, and first responders.  Since this has been a topic that is particularly special with my family, I find it important that during my rein year I touch on causes that have affected and pertained to my life.  May 7th, however, was not your average every day event for me, because it was this day that I went to the Rockland Fire Department in Rockland, MA.  It was there that I met with firefighter Craig.  This was a particularly moving experience because this firefighter was trained by my late uncle, as this was his fire station.  He is also very good friends with my cousin, who is a paramedic. Although I did not know who I was meeting with that day, when I requested to give my talk on advocacy.  I believe that there are no mistakes in the universe, and by meeting someone who is connected to my family in this way I had the ability to show my uncle, Richard, what I have been doing since he has passed, and I am pretty sure he was looking down on me smiling a little extra day.

Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower