Friday, November 29, 2013

Fire Department Double Duty

     Because my Ms. Wheelchair schedule was so busy in May, there were times that I would need to schedule an event back to back.  This is the case on May 9th.  I had the pleasure of meeting two fantastic groups of individuals from two separate fire departments.

     My morning was taken up with by dealing with the rather handsome men of the Plymouth Fire Department.  They were eager to hear my perspective as a wheelchair user and what my fears and concerns were when dealing with fire department related emergencies.  I explained to them that more times than I care to count I had been stuck in the middle of non-working wheelchair lifts, and even on my first day of graduate school it was necessary for the fire department to carry me down 2 flights of stairs as the elevator was not working after all of my classes.  What a way to welcome someone to graduate school.  That being said, these are everyday situations that wheelchair users have to face with or without fear.

     On the afternoon of May 9th,  I visited Unit 4 of the Brockton Fire Department.  These men were equally welcoming of my perspective and were truly interested in what I had to say.  For me, I feel that as I go from fire department to fire department the talks get easier and easier, because I come to learn what is most important for the fire fighters to hear.

Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.