Friday, March 28, 2014

Bling It On

On February 28th, I got to meet with a wonderful group of girls, between the ages of 12 and 17. I was able to speak to their parents about what it means to become more and more independent, as you age with a disability. I think this is really important because many parents feel as though it is better to put their child in a bubble and hold their hand throughout life. But in my opinion, and it is just mine and not law, I feel as though it is important to teach your kids to understand their disabilities from a very young age and in turn this will make them stronger and independent young adults. I am very lucky that this is what my mom did for me and I hope I could impart this wisdom on to the parents at the SBAGNE at Bling Camp. Until next time, Advocate, Educate and Empower.