Friday, March 28, 2014

Danielle is in BEANTOWN!

A lot of people told me before nationals that this was a sisterhood and you will find women that will change your life.  That sounds lovely but I did not really believe it until I got to Texas.  I carved out a bond that is beyond explanation with Ms. Wheelchair Illinois, Danielle Austin.  I had the pleasure of being able to host her for a four day visit so that she could advocate with me, but mainly I was selfish and wanted a good excuse to see my twin of twins.  You see Danielle and I have the same disability, in fact we have the same disability, the same challenges, and an overall love of hockey even though we cannot account for her taste being a Blackhawks fan.  I love this girl more than words could describe, so to be able to spend some time with her was extra special.  We did everything from touring historic Plymouth, to visiting my elementary school and seeing less than flattering pictures of me from 1989.  We also painted pottery at my favorite shop with Ms. Deanna and we toured downtown Boston and attended a rally for dogs with disabilities because we need to support our 4 legged friends too.  I will never forget these 4 days that I got with my Danielle.

Until next time,
"Advocate, Educate, Empower".