Sunday, December 15, 2013

Fore.....

     On June 15th, I was also requested to attend the Adaptive Sports Fair at Braintree Rehab Hospital. Many of you who know me, know that alot of my services for my disability in the past, have come through Braintree Rehab Hospital.  I deeply trust in their expertise in helping people to live very full and adaptive, active life styles. This was an eye opening experience for me because I was never the athletic one in my family. I was the artsy, drama kid, who liked to be creative. But in a lot of ways, I looked up to my older brother who was the sports God of the family. There was not one sport that he could not pick up quickly, everything from golf to ice hockey to soccer and more.  To be perfectly honest with you, in a lot of ways, when I was younger I was jealous of his athletic abilities, but being a kid growing up in the 80's and 90's in a not very active disability community my Mom found activities that she could adapt for me instead of pre-adapted sports. It was an eye opener and a learning experience to see all of the programs that are available for everyone from children to adults that included adaptive cycling, adaptive golf, adaptive kayaking and more. I want to use this new found knowledge to pass it on to families so that some people with disabilities may get the opportunities that I did not know existed. Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.