Sunday, December 15, 2013

Funnel Ball Returns...

          On June 27th, I made my next stop on the playground trail. This was at Hanover Community Playground. I was delighted to see that they have a similar funnel ball game that other playgrounds did.  People underestimate the use of this game for gross motor skills. The only problem that I found with this version of the funnel ball was that unlike the shorter version, which was more round, this version was indeed higher and more narrow. So this is not to say that a wheelchair using child could not use the equipment, but I do believe that it would make it much harder to do.  Even for me, as an adult, I could barely have a complete reach to the bottom of the funnels. In fairness however, I do not have full extension or range of motion in my elbows. That being said, if a child had similar C.P., they would find it even more difficult that I. It is promising however to see versions of this style equipment pop up from place to place, in hopes that more adaptive equipment will be installed as they get developed and money becomes available. Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.