Sunday, December 15, 2013

Hey, Do You Sleep In Your Wheelchair?

     On May 22nd, I was requested to speak at Norwell Public Library in Norwell, MA.  Not only did I read my favorite children's book by Reymon Jourdan, "Willie the Wheelchair", but  I had the children do an activity in which they created what their own wheelchair would look like if they were the wheelchair designer.  I explained to them that the wheelchair comes in all different shapes and sizes for all different types of people.  My wheelchair was personalized by my rehab tech, Mala. It has my name and a crown on the back.  Although I must say I did get the crown embroidered before I competed for Ms. Wheelchair Mass. and even before it was a thought to compete. But it would have looked a little silly had I not won. Having these kids however, design their own wheelchairs brought up the opportunity for me to answer some very logical questions from the kids.  My favorite one of the day was, "Hey, do you sleep in your wheelchair". All of my wheelie friends would tell you that it would be very uncomfortable, in case you were wondering.  Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.