Sunday, December 15, 2013

Hanging Out at Hanlon

     On May 21st, I had the pleasure of speaking with three classrooms of energetic and positive second grade students at the Hanlon School in Westwood, Mass.  This was set up in a question and answer type format which for me, as Ms. Wheelchair Mass., is the most fun because you never know where the hour or two hours is going to take you.  At this time, when I did this presentation the Bruins where in a play off battle, heading towards the Stanley Cup, so one of the things that impressed the children so much was when I could explain to them that, as Ms. Wheelchair Mass., I actually got to try adaptive skating and adaptive hockey.  This was especially important to me because the kids were so excited about the Bruins, I wanted them to understand that people with disabilities could be incredible athletes as well. Until next time, Advocate Educate, and Empower.