Sunday, December 15, 2013

More Than Just Hopscotch

     After meeting with Tom from the Pembroke Commission for Disabilities, I wanted to make it a mission to see what differences could be made at playgrounds so that kids with disabilities could live a carefree playground filled childhood.  The first stop on my search was on June 3rd, at the Whitman Memorial Town Green Playground in Whitman, Mass.  I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed by the amount of disability friendly equipment that they had in one space. Most importantly for me, was the lowered make believe spaces, which included a fire engine, an ambulance, and a puppet show, all of which were easily chair level with a great amount of space. Even in an adult chair, although my feet stuck out, I was able to safely get around and inside to be able to reach all of the buttons.  I highly think though that the kid next to me was jealous that I hogged the fire engine for so long. But hey, you have to do some things for advocacy, right? Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.