Sunday, December 15, 2013

We Meet Again, Mrs. Howard

     The Kingston Intermediate School was the venue for my next appearance.  The librarian had set up a book club meeting with me and her sixth graders, after they had finished reading a novel about an adolescent girl with Cerebral Palsy. On June 7th, I had a chance to discuss the book with them and I also found out that these were remarkable young people who had set up a disability awareness course for every grade level in their student body, so that they may be able to experience different types of disabilities, may they be visual, sensory, or physical disabilities. The ironic part about this was that the kids from this class were Mrs. Howard's sixth grade classroom students and this shows how full circle life can come because Kaitlin or Mrs. Howard was a woman that I graduated from my own high school with. It was nice to be able to know that I was making a different in my own community, not with just strangers that I meed for the first time. Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.