Sunday, December 15, 2013

Next On the Playground Journey

     On June 17th, I wanted to stop and evaluate the North Pembroke Elementary School playground, as far as it's accessibility. This was especially important to me because this was my playground as a child, seeing as though this is the school I attended.  One of the things that stood out to me the most was actually making more ramps that were even with the sidewalk because although there were temporary put in to meet the sidewalk alley way, there were not flush with the sidewalk itself. So no matter what a child has for a chair, power or manual, they would have to at least go somewhat up on a threshold and for me taking children's safety into account, this was not acceptable.  The other problem that I had was there playground was covered in stone and stone is hard to push on and also gets caught in the wheels. Even with me as an adult in an adult size chair, this took far too much effort and it would tire a child out quickly, especially in a manual. Hopefully the school will heed my advice and make the appropriate changes.  Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.