Sunday, December 15, 2013

Needs Major Improvement

     My playground field trips continue. My platform this year, Advocate, Educate, and Empower focuses so much on allowing young people to understand that even though a disability occurs, it does not by any means mean that it should ever let you down from having fun.  This is why I was so disheartened on June 12th, when I visited the Richard E. Gifford Memorial Playground in South Weymouth, Mass.  Honestly, being the eternal optimist that I am, I would like to say that hopefully with a little bit of advocacy, we can change the dynamic of this playground because it is not at all disability accessible. There is not one piece of equipment that a child that uses a wheelchair could even reach.  Even as an adult, who uses a wheelchair, I had a hard time reaching for the bars, stairs, or any other piece of equipment. This is just a shame, if you ask me.  Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.