Sunday, December 15, 2013

Hockey Throw Back...

       On June 16th, I was invited by hockey instructor, Leo to be an example to his skaters about never giving up. This took place during what was called, Hockey Skill Night or Power Skating.  This took place at the Hobomock Ice Arena in Pembroke, Mass.  Honestly, this was an extremely fun event for me because my brother no longer plays hockey, however he played for 27 years of his life, so as much as he identifies with a hockey rink, so do I.  This was his home base hockey rink where he first donned hockey skates. This arena will forever hold a place in my heart because I grew up there. I could never be upright on skates, like he could, but my family made sure that they taught me the importance of the game, the importance of team sports and most importantly most of his hockey teammates treated me as though I was one of their little sisters as well. This is why when I got to finally skate with my brother at Cronin Ice Arena, it was a really emotionally moving experience because I never thought that I would ever be on that side of the ice, toe to toe with my favorite hockey star. He may never of made it to the Bruins, but one thing that he has taught me through his coaching of little children and his endless love of the game, is to pass that positivity and the never give up spirit and always head for the goal to the next generation of skaters because never know if your words will inspire a youth to have the drive to go to the NHL.  Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.