Sunday, December 15, 2013

Hey, It's Too High..

     The next stop on my playground train takes me to Halifax Community Playground in Halifax, Mass.  Although this is a very tailored, kid friendly playground, there are some major flaws as far as wheelchair accessibility is concerned.  On June 28th, I came to realize that although there are many different pieces of equipment to be used and enjoyed, the majority of them have raised curbs or lips to get onto the wooden pieces. To me, this is highly unsafe for a child because if any child is like I was when I was young, I was not going to let a raised curb stop me from getting to my friends, even if that meant tipping backwards.  Although I do not condone this behavior, from a very young age I have not been a fan of the safety tip wheels on my chair. I understand their purpose and as an adult I understand that they are important, but frankly as a child, I did not care and if my mom would put them down, I would quickly explain to a friend how to put them up. That being said, children are more prone to choose fun over safety, so I think it is the playground's responsibility to make some changes.  Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.