Sunday, December 15, 2013

Parade, Parade, Parade

   On May 27th, I attended three separate Memorial Day Parades in my hometown and surrounding communities.  One of the reasons that this is so important to me is because my family on both sides has a strong military background in the Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, and Coast Guard. I really strongly believe in supporting the military because they are the main reason that we have the freedom that we do today.  If it was not for the men and women who fought with honor and valor, there would be no such things as Disability Rights.  Often times as Americans we take for granted that we do live in a highly adaptive society and without fighting for independence, we would see none of this.  There three parts of the day that were particularly difficult for me. My brother went to school with a Marine named, Brian McPhilips, who was killed in action in 2004 in Iraq. There was a special float dedicated to him in my hometown. In another one of the parades, they honored a fallen soldier who was best friends with my boyfriend, named Benjamin Sherman.  I have very fond memories of Ben and his ability to make a positive out of any situation.  The third thing that touched me was in the Marshfield parade. There was a trolley full of Vietnam Veterans and my father, indeed, is a Vietnam Vet himself. He is perhaps one of my greatest heroes. He has taught me so much about survival and appreciation for small victories. It is for these three men that I wear the crown on this day. Rest in peace, Brian and Ben. May your spirits be with God. To my father, 'Some man may capture my heart one day, but you have captured it for a lifetime". Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.