Sunday, December 15, 2013

Just Keep Swimming

     On June 10th, I was asked to visit with the staff of Island Grove Park in Abington, Mass.  For those of you who do not know, Island Grove is a retreat area, mostly visited by family for the summer months where they can do swimming, pool games, diving, and nature walks.  For a very long time, I did adapted swimming. This was a great therapy for me, so I believe that many other people with disabilities should have the same opportunity to do so.  This is why it is important for me to educate staff members about extra safety concerns when dealing with physical disability concerns because although we can enjoy a dip, a dive, or some Marco Polo, we may need some assistance to make it happen. This assistance may not at all be huge. It could be something as simple as helping someone get into the water.  This is why is is so important for me to advocate for physical activities.  Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.