Sunday, December 15, 2013

Ready...Set...Go

      On June 15th I had the pleasure of giving the opening speech at the SBAGNE Walk and Roll in Canton, Mass. It was held this year at the Mass. Hospital School. It successfully raised 10's of thousands of dollars for the people affected by Spina Bifida throughout Greater New England.  Although as many of you know, I dp not have Spina Bifida myself, but I have made a tremendous friendship with Ms. Wheelchair Mass. 2010, Santara Sen, who does have Spina Bifida and as many people have often said, the Ms. Wheelchair Program is a sisterhood in which we change minds and change the world.  It was so great to see how many walkers and runners and rollers came out for a cause that is near and dear to me.  In my speech, I honestly wanted to give a sense of positivity to the walkers, rollers, and runners to help them understand that it is through organizations like, SBAGNE, that we can turn people's lives around and make more independence.  But more importantly we can form bonds of advocacy. Despite the funky suntan that I got that day, it was all worth it in the end. Until next time, Advocate, Educate, and Empower.